Friday, April 24, 2015

The Law of Thelema

Pretty much anyone who does even a cursory study of the occult teachings will at some point come across Alistair Crowley. The self proclaimed "wickedest man in the world". I don't know about all that, sure he was in to, and became hooked on some substances, performed dubious rituals, and pretty much lived a life of debauchery. There are many conspiracy theories surrounding him, from being grandfather to Barbra Bush, to well frankly everything. In some circles he is said to be responsible for much of what we think of as the shadowy aspects of our current experience.  For me, what he did or did not do, and who he did it with rarely are of import.  I do not concern myself as often with the human, as much as with the ideas they are presenting.  Lets face it, he's just a character from a story, For me I came to his works through the Golden Dawn, having poured through the works of Mathers, and  Waite, Before that Crowley had been a boogy man of sorts. Used in songs, and stories, as a symbol. The beauty contained his words, and imagery for me are always at odds with the depiction of him.  For a short time he was even inadvertently my protector from beyond the grave.  In my mid 20's when I was in major experimental, experiential exploration, A friend and I rented an apartment, the guy's name was Charlie, nice guy. Even sat down to talk "metaphysics" with us. As soon as I mentioned AC as one of my influences, Charlie's demeanor flipped, like he hadn't seen me till that moment, and what he saw was scary.  I find this hysterical, sure I have the potential to be violent, ever thing with choice has that potential. It's that I've never been an aggressive person, and am far from physically imposing. Poor Charlie, we were essentially pirates, or sharks, and he had just cut himself and dangled his wrist in the water.  There was no malice, and no violence, we just realized we would be able to push him past reason, or at least I did. Not sure how much of our rent we skipped out on, at least a few months.   The book of the law, aside from the well known, "love is the law. love under will, do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law" has so much interesting prophetic information, trigger words, phrases, a bit like the fire letters of the book of Enoch. There is of course the warnings right in it to not study, likely a wise caution, as only madness lies within, regardless of it's validity.  Once I had logically ripped apart the proclaimed law of the age of Horus, finding it as sound a guide for actions in the world as any. Though horribly misused, and abused, the words twisted up, the spirit evicted. Very much as I see the majority of the world, the information is everywhere, hardly anyone sees it, or takes the time to make sense of it, We are more concerned with the letter of the law, than the spirit. We ask if it's legal, not if it's moral, or appropriate. than we wonder why the world is seemingly in a state of semi controlled chaos.
         In Zoroastrianism arguably one of the origins for monotheistic traditions, on the positive side is a partnership with Ahura Mazda combining the creative, and destructive principals into one, with the choice being in the individual. This is the same ideas repeated in almost every tradition before and after, If it's been laid out in a more simplified version, than Thelema, at least till adherents get hold of it, and talk about it. These are personal relationships with what is, or isn't, and that's the point, No one can tell anyone else what is right for them. Spirit, divinity, demons, fey, whatever comes to each of us, as we are able to accept it, how we are able to accept it.  The experience of it, the relationship to it, is deeply personal, we can share it as we like. Ultimately each of us changes our relationship to what is, while what is, just is.
       The law of Thelma may or may not be a part of the dawning of the new age, if there isn't a new age being spawned every moment. It for sure is a pretty simple guideline, that would keep most people out the worst pitfalls in life. If it doesn't feel like love to you, don't do it, how you understand love is another matter. I'm not a follower or joiner, I'm a loner, hardly ever lonely, but isolated even in a crowed. It suits me, I keep my own counsel even when I'm sharing in others ideas, or delights. If I'm honest I find Crowley interesting as a person, with fascinating perspectives. While feeling he was a child in the notions of wicked, playing, not being wicked. There is a twisted delight in the stripping away of innocence, and what is innocent in the stream of eternity? just another idea to impart meaning, give structure to the void. To stop the screaming long enough to take a breath. An aspect of Thelema with personal significance is that of rejection of the physical world. A fundamental position of being at odds with the experience itself. That is a sentiment I can well get behind, not suicidal, but fucking pissed off. Never feeling this world can be enough, no matter what is a pale comparison to the dissolution of the vast nothing.  That eventually all the phantoms are cast off, the lovers union is perfected and all that remains is the after glow, the release of all tension, all stress, all expectation..  

Jack
aka
PanseyBard

No comments:

Post a Comment